Friday, January 15, 2010

A Wind Rose in the Mountains of Mist

I started my anticipated Wheel of Time re-read tonight, a bit behind the one going on Tor.com and some other blog/fan sites (or Brandon Sanderson himself). I don’t know exactly what I’ll be writing in these posts or how often they’ll go up here at the o’ Stuff.

This will be the first time in about a decade that I’ve read a Wheel of Time novel, and more than that for The Eye of the World in particular. With any such re-reading, of course, characters actions later in the series will be viewed in a different light when we first meet them.

So … on rides the dragon.

I’ve re-read Dragonmount, the prologue a few times and it still works pretty well. Jordan conveys a guy going ape-shit nuts at the end of all things nicely. In the first chapter, we see the first hints of the gender divide between the Village Council.

I also get the early sense of Mat as a Trickster and the air of frustration surrounding Nynaeve and I haven’t even ‘met’ her in the book yet. She has a presence in her absence. There’s a very down home feel to the first few pages, which happens while the village of Hobbitom er excuse me ….Two Rivers prepares for the Elventy-First…Bel Tine fest. Yes, I know Jordan deliberately evoked Tolkien in the early portion of the novel, I kid because I care.

I think I’m going to have fun re-reading this series.

No comments: